Our first soup of the year was ordered up by Dan Schmalzried. He thought it would be a good way to use up the left over bone in the freezer from the spiral ham we received as a Christmas gift!
So here’s Dan’s Potato Ham Chowder to enjoy!
- 3 qts water
- 1 ham bone with meat scraps
- 8 oz butter
- 3 lb onions, diced
- 1 lb celery, diced
- 5 qts chicken stock
- 10 lb russet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 qt half and half
- salt & pepper to taste
1) Simmer ham bone in 3 qts water for about 1-2 hours; cool. Save stock for soup; mince ham; return to stock; save.
2) Melt butter; add onions & celery; saute until soft.
3) In soup pot, add stock, water and potatoes; cook until potatoes are soft. Puree part of this mixture to thicken soup.
4) Add sauteed veggies to pot; simmer until thick.
5) Just before serving, heat cream & add to pot. Season to taste.
Recipe says it serves 70 but at Brown Motors is was just enough for the 35 employees!!!!