Chili is defined as a stew-like soup made entirely with meat, chiles, or chili powder (or both) and according to what region of the United States that you live in, it can also include beans. And everyone has an opinion as to what chili should taste like!
Here’s my vote for a good combination of ingredients to make a delicious chili.
- 4 lbs hot italian sausage, bulk (Tannery Creek Meat Market, Petoskey, MI*)
- 4 lbs beef sirloin, chili cut
- 4 lbs sweet onions, chopped
- 5 T minced garlic
- 3 T ground cumin
- 1/3 c dried basil, crumbled
- 1/3 c dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 #10 can pureed tomatoes
- 1 #10 can diced tomatoes
- 1 #10 can chili beans in hot sauce
- 1 #10 can red kidney beans, drained
- Add a good dark beer for desired consistency
- Cook meats & onions; add garlic, cumin, basil & oregano; simmer to blend flavors.
- Add beans & tomatoes; if too thick add some beer.
- Simmer a few hours to blend flavors; taste & add salt, pepper, and even some chili powder if you like it burning hot! It all depends on how hot your italian sausage is! *The Tannery Creek market makes their hot italian sausage with plenty of hot pepper flakes & it really has a kick!
- Serve in bowls with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, diced raw onions, or whatever!