If you’re anything like most Petoskey drivers, you hate having to pay more for gas. Every time the price per gallon goes up, you just start thinking of all the other things you would rather buy with the additional gas money, like new clothes, new shoes, tickets to the local ballpark, or a fun trip. However, there are a few ways you can reduce the amount of gas you use and still cover the same distances you have in the past. Check out these tips on how to improve your fuel efficiency and save at the pump.
- Check Out Your Tires – Make sure they are the right tires for the type of driving you do most of the time. If you have big, off-roading tires on your car, but do mostly city driving, then your tires could be driving down your fuel efficiency. Make sure when you purchase tires, you get some with fuel-saving technology.
- Monitor Your Tire Pressure – Make sure your tires are inflated to the proper level since having under inflated tired can lower gas mileage by as much as 3%
- Use Your Cruise Control – Using the Cruise Control on the Highway can save up to 6% on fuel efficiency
- Drive Smoothly – think ahead and drive lightly and smoothly! Apply light throttle and avoid heavy breaking can reduce not only your car’s fuel consumption but also the wear and tear on your car over time. Driving like this can help improve your fuel economy by as much as 30%
- Keep Up with Proper Maintenance – don’t ignore getting your car checked regularly and definitely don’t ignore the Check Engine Light. Be sure to take your car into your local service department and get it checked out on a regular basis to not only keep your car running smoothly on the road, but also to help ensure your fuel consumption is as low as possible.